Question
Posted by: Lynn | 2004/10/25

Diabetes & Pregnancy - Miscarriage

Dear Doc

I am 27 yrs of age. I've been suffering from diabetes, for some time now, but was only diagnosed recently.

I had a miscarriage about 2 months ago on 11 weeks. The doctor wasn't really able to tell me the reason for the MC. But now that I am diagnosed I am wondering if the diabetes couldn't have been the reason for the MC. Could it?

But we are planning on trying to conceive from December again. What are the success rate of pregnancies with diabetes, and what would the chances be of another MC?

It was and still is very traumatic for me and my husband. We would rather not try agian, than go through the heart ache again.
We've already got a daughter. And the pregnancy was without complications.

Diabetes is certainly a cause of miscarriages. The important thing is to be sure that the diabetes is very tightly controlled when you conceive. If this is the case, many diabetic women have successful pregnancies.

1
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/10/25

Hi Lynn
I take it that you were diagnosed with Diabetes 2 which is alot different than Diabetes 1 which is insulin dependant. I also had a miscarriage at 11 weeks in 2000 but it seems to be due to my thyroid.
I use glocuphage on a normal day to day basis, 850mg 3x per day (which I believe is quite high), but when I fell pregnant the gynae adviced that I should stop taking the glucophage which was at 5 weeks pregnancy. I carried up to 38 weeks and had a ceasar and delivered a beautiful baby boy of 4.93 kg!! During my pregnancy I had no sugar problems what so ever.
So the chances of you carrying a healthy baby is possible and I would never give up hope!!!!

Hang in there, it will happen for you soon - My sympathy on the loss of your pregnancy!

Reply to Kippie