Question
Posted by: Cheryll | 2003/12/08

Diabetes - Nerve Damage

My grandfather has been diagnosed with the above. Surgery to "unblock the veins" has been suggested. It has been noted this is considered major surgery. What exactly does this surgery involve and is it the last resort before amputation?

Cheryll, I doubt that they will be able to unblock the veins surgically. They will probably just “bypass” the blocked veins/arteries with a graft. The best would be to find out exactly what they intend to do and to let me know (as a new question please otherwise I won’t get it). Good luck.