Question
Posted by: Chris | 2004/11/30

Diabetes and exercise

I would like to know what diabetics should eat during exercise.
I normally eat energy bars (which contains suger I know) or bananas during exercise but find that my blood sugar is normal half an hour after consumption.
I am a cyclist that would like to optimize my performance. Are there specific foods around for diabetics? Especially when when doing long training rides of +- 4 hours.
Chris

Dear Chris
The supplements you use during strenuous exercise must form part of your prescribed daily energy and carbohydrate intake. If you have not yet consulted a clinical dietitian (all diabetics should do so without fail), then please do so ASAP. The dietitian has to work out your daily energy requirement and the portions of carbohydrate you can use normally and when you exercise, plus how much protein and fat you can also ingest and what type of carbs you need to eat and when. This is a complex calculation and not something that I can do for you over the Internet. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area and make an appointment ASAP.