Posted by: lil | 2008/07/09

Good day, my dad has been diagnosed with diabetes about 3months ago. They said his a type 1 diabetic but he is currently off his insulin, now only on those pills...because they think his pankreas are still making a small amount of insulin. This is very confusing. He feels fine in the early mornings before work, but later during the day, with no warning signs, his sugar drops very low and he becomes very confused..he walks into stuff, cant remember where he is or who his colleagues are... this is very disturbing for me and i'm very stressed about it. Please help.what can i do to help. My dad is 48.

Dear Lil
If you dear Dad is experiencing low blood sugar levels (as manifested by the symptoms you describe) then it is ESSENTIAL that he does 2 things: 1) He Must go back to the dr who is treating his diabetes to find out if he should adjust his medication, and 2) He Must see a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment, and he may be able to prevent these hypoglycaemic episodes just by eating the correct food at the correct time. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take his diabetes and medications into account when working out a diet for him, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. He should also ask his doctor what type of exercise he is allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if his doctor gives permission and when his blood sugar levels have been stabilised.