Question
Posted by: Dries | 2007/06/12

Diabetes

I was diagnosed as a diabetic during February (40,9) nearly lost my head and spent 10 days in hospital. The average is 14 now and I use 40 units insulin in the mornings and 30 in the afternoons. Due to a heart condition (Heart attack followed by heart failure), I can’t walk far at a time (20m), I tire easily, follow a strict diet and drink as much water as I can. What else can be done to lower the sugar in my blood?

Dear Dries
I am so sorry to hear that you have Type I diabetes and heart problems. Did you see a dietitian? If not, please do so immediately. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'.
Hope you feel much better soon