Question
Posted by: sara | 2004/11/04

diabetes

hi.my mom was a heavy diabetic and died from complications of it.she was obese.i had high sugar levels in my pregnancy.i am also obese and pick up weight very rapidly.both my kids are above average weight although they follow a reasonably healthy diet.since diabetes is hereditry is there any hope for us

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear Sara

The most important factor to consider is to achieve and maintain a healthy weight, because diabetes is strongly associated with obesity. Please contact a dietician in your area to help you with implementing a healthy lifestyle for the whole family. Genetic testing can be offered to assess risk/treatment but weight loss remains the most important factor.

Regards, Maritha