Question
Posted by: Heather | 2004/02/28

Diabetes

My husband is diabetic so he has a tester. I have had symptoms recently (sore feet, tingling etc) and I have tested myself a few times and my levels are between 7 and 9.8. I had extensive fertility treatment in the last two years and no diabetes was found. I had a whack of blook tests done in November 2003 and nothing was found. I am in the process of adopting a child so should I now be a diabetic, this could alter things. So, I don't want to go and see a doctor until the adoption is finalized. Can you give me any advise on what I can do for the time being. The adoption should be finalized within the next two to three months. I am 35 years old - what would cause this sudden rise in blood sugar. Could it be from the fertility treatment.

Thanking you in advance.
Heather

Dear Heather
Many medications, including fertility drugs and female hormones, and even stress could cause changes to blood sugar levels. It is always advisable to have such conditions verified by doing a blood glucose tolerance test as soon as possible. However, I can understand that you are worried that this could affect your chance of adoption, so please use the same diet your husband is following (I trust that he has consulted a clinical dietitian and has been given a diabetic diet to follow - if not, then you should both consult a clinical dietitian ASAP as diet is one of the most important aspects in the treatment of diabetes) and go for brisk walks to stimulate your metabolism, lower your blood sugar levels and relax you. Once the adoption is successful you need to go for those blood tests to ensure that you get the correct treatment if you should be insulin resistant or diabetic.
Holding thumbs that your adoption is successful.