Question
Posted by: Heather | 2004/02/28

Diabetes

My husband is diabetic so he has a tester. I have had symptoms recently (sore feet, tingling etc) and I have tested myself a few times and my levels are between 7 and 9.8. I had extensive fertility treatment in the last two years and no diabetes was found. I had a whack of blook tests done in November 2003 and nothing was found. I am in the process of adopting a child so should I now be a diabetic, this could alter things. So, I don't want to go and see a doctor until the adoption is finalized. Can you give me any advise on what I can do for the time being. The adoption should be finalized within the next two to three months. I am 35 years old - what would cause this sudden rise in blood sugar. Could it be from the fertility treatment.

Thanking you in advance.
Heather

Heather, it’s difficult to say why your sugar is high without examining you first. The best would be to do a fasting blood sugar and find out what it is. You should eat nothing for 12 hours (just drink water) and then do another blood test. If it is below 6.5 mmol/l, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck.