Question
Posted by: diabetic east rand | 2008/01/26

diabetes 2

i am a diabetic for 20 years now and would like to find out if there is a product or a diet that i can follow to gain weight if have lost about 7 kilos since november 2007, and i need to gain weight to gain my strenght as i had an left leg amputation and i struggle to walk with crutches.

Dear Diabetic East Rand
I am so sorry to hear that you have had your leg amputated. From what you say I appears to me that you have not consulted a clinical dietitian in the past 20 years for a special diet prescription for your diabetes. It is essential for anyone with diabetes, esp type 1 diabetes, to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). This diet will also assist with weight loss. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'.
Holding thumbs for you