Question
Posted by: Talita | 2007/03/15

DHEA

Is it safe for anyone to use this medication and is it available over the counter?

Hi Talita

I would not use it, no. The full name is Dehydroepiandrosterone, it is a steroid precursor, the idea is to take it so that when you train, you can increase lean muscle mass more quickly than you would otherwise. DHEA has been shown to be effective in treating certain diseases,some very rare conditions, others not so rare, like insulin resistance. However, there are as many reported side effects, which are pretty serious. One is increased risk of cardiac arrythmias (which can be lethal) and then another undesired effect is excessive hair growth, as well as acne.

All in all, I would not waste money on this, it's risky, doesn't necessarily work and is not really ethically right, in my view.