Question
Posted by: dexter's chick | 2007/04/05

dexter

hi everyone. for all of the ppl who watch "dexter" on tv, do you think that it's possible for someone to have so little emotion and feeling as this tv character does? i think that it's possible because i see a bit of myself in him. i find myself doing the most disgusting things (like having an affair) and i feel NOTHING! i care very little for most of the ppl i interact with on a daily basis, but i pretend quite well that i do. everybody thinks that i'm a loving, caring person but most of the time i'm pretending! and its not that i'm vain, i don't care much for myself either. what do the ppl out there think?

It's certainly interesting how individual TV characters do ( or don't ) reflect our own characters, or those of people close to us. Unfortunately I haven't watched Dexter, so I can\t comment on this specific example.
Now, when you describe yourself, that's curious. There are uncomfortably many people who show the lack of caring you describe, but they NEVER notice this aspect of themsevles, norcare about it. I think there are probably some complex issues at play here, including low self-esteem, and realistic CBT type counselling could probably prove very useful indeed

3
Posted by: dexters chick | 2007/04/07

Hi Rose,
I think i've decided what to do. i'm just going to continue doing what i've been doing. but at least now i know, and can accept, the way i am. the secret me will be around for a long time! Thank you for your kind words.

Reply to dexters chick
Posted by: rose | 2007/04/07

ok, i think...the best thing here is the fact that you admit all these things.

you probably have a few suppressed things from your past/childhood, seeing that you mention it straight away..maybe on a more suboncious level you are getting back at the world for having a "screwed up childhood". i dont know your story, but ie. if you lacked love and affection or had parents with a destructive relationship, this could be the reason for you cheating without remorse. maybe?

you sound intelligent enough to know that it's best for you to tackle these things through couselling and sort it out.

i know it is classic to live out the example that was set to you as a child, but you can cange that!!

all of the best and keep us posted what you decide to do!

Reply to rose
Posted by: dexter's chick | 2007/04/06

Hi CS,
i actually noticed this about myself recently. it's as if i'm just acting my way thru my life. i just woke up one day and realised that its all pretend! and the script of this act is getting old! ppl have always said that i'm a good listener so lots of ppl confide in me. but i'm not always listening! its actually a bit funny! maybe i just have so much emotional baggage from my screwed up childhood that i'm used to hiding my feelings? (maybe not?!) how can anyone think i'd turn out "normal" after growing up in my household? then again, who's normal? i'm a liar, and a good one at it! i find this more funny than disturbing. maybe i do need some sort of therapy!

Reply to dexter's chick