Question
Posted by: Libra | 2006/07/14

Deworming during Pregnancy and Lactation

I have 2 Bitches, Husky and German Shepherd, it's been more than 6 months since last deworming and they do seem to have lost weight, so I feel the need to deworm asap, problem is, the Husky had a pup 4 days ago and the German Shepherd is also close to having pup est. 2 weeks.
Can I deworm them?
I usually use the Bob Marten Deworming Powder for the 3 most common worm varieties.

Your vet can advise you and supply you with dewormers that are safe to use in pregnant and lactating bitches. It is important to deworm them as they can pass some worms onto the pup via milk.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2006/07/14

Your question raises various concerns.

Anyone who intends breeding their dogs should ensure that they are in optimum health before doing so, and this most certainly includes deworming.

If your dogs 'seem to have lost weight', then there is another good reason to avoid letting them fall pregnant.

The bob martin's deworming powder is not generally considered adequate - you need to get the right medications from your vet in order to be sure they're going to do their jobs properly.

When you get them, ask them to give you a variety that is suitable for pregnant or lactating dogs.

May I also respectfully suggest that when you next have an hour or two to spare, amuse yourself by taking a walk around the kennels of the animal welfare organisation closest to you. Every one of the dogs there was once a cute little puppy, and every one of them is now in the situation that nobody wants them. Only the very luckiest ones find new homes. Do you really want your cute little babies to end up like that?

Then stop off at the clinic and ask about spaying....

Reply to Chill