Question
Posted by: Curious | 2008/01/29

Detecting mental illness in unborn baby

My brother has a mental illness (schitzophrenia) and I am told it can be hereditary.

What are the odds that I will have a child with the disease and is it possible to detect it in the womb and if so how soon?

I have seen my brother suffer and my family has suffered as well due to his illness and I would really rather abort than bring a child into this world with that kind of affliction.

Please advise

I think that the risk is low - less than 10%, but a geneticist would ne able to give you more accurate figures. This cannot be detected in the womb and is usually only diagnosed in adulthood.