Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2004/10/12

Destructive Duschund

I have a duschund of 6 months old, who is quite destructive during the day. I have 2 Duschunds , the other one is turning 3 yrs in November , i have bought them both pigs ears and hooves to chew on and still she seems to chew our pool cover. I had to take her to the vet on Saturday as she was playing with twigs which made a hole in her soft palate and she had to stay over night as the vet thought she had perhaps punctured her stomach or intestines due to a tender abdomen, How many toys do I need to give her, both dogs had 3 hooves each and one pigs ear, what more do I need to give them?

Hi Concerned
It's not the number of toys, but how attractive they are that counts. If she gets attention for chewing illegal things then she will chew them instead of her legal ones. Reprimands and punishments may be seen by her as attention. Four toys at a time is enough, but try getting some others and rotating them each day - e.g. rawhide bones, ostrich sinews etc. Smart toys like treatballs are also good. Your pup is at a difficult stage and needs to be given boundaries. If you see her chewing something other than her toy, take it away gently saying something like "No" in a gruff voice and then immediately replacing it with one of her toys, praising her for taking that instead. She may be coming into season soon, so unless you get her spayed soon she will have to be confined for 3 weeks, which may result in other behaviour problems. She needs a daily walk off your property on a lead and some socialising off lead with other dogs to give her something to think about. Training is important too and you can do this at home or in a group training session.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

2
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/12

Yep - she's only a baby and she will want to investigate everything within reach.

If you can't be with her during the day, then it's your responsibility to confine her to a place where she'll be safe - obviously, with shelter (from sun AND rain!), water, toys, and away from danger. That might mean creating a pen for her, or something.

Hooves and pigs' ears are for chewing. They can't chew all day, no matter how many you give them.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/12

U need to play with her and preferably keep her supervised or in an area where she cant get up to mischief .... she is just a normal puppy .. a little training will also help

Reply to Carol