Question
Posted by: 'non | 2007/08/08

Destined for Alcoholism?

Hey CS

For some reason, I have the suspicion that I may be more susceptible to alcoholism than your average. Call it an addictive nature - though I know there's debate around this one - but even coffee gets me hooked. ..The day after an outdoor gig at which there was heavy smoking, i craved a cigarette! Just from second hand smoke. I'm barely 18 and never done much drinking, but i have to admit there's a slight craving for alcohol the days after I've had it.

There's a chance I'm a bit paranoid here, or downplaying how much control I have over situations, but what would you advise me on this one?

Well, for a variety of reasons, some of us are indeed more susceptible either to alcoholism itself, or to getting addicted / dependent on a number of substances. Why not heed your instincts, and play it safe, by avoiding alcohol and other entertaining chemicals --- life is possible and enjoyable without them !
And its actually easier to rule something like alcohol out altogether ( which requires one decision, to then stick to ; rather than battling to control it, making a fresh decision every time as to whether to, and how much to try.

2
Posted by: Joey | 2007/08/10

Its a wonderful thing when one so young looks so sensibly and maturely at the problems of possible addiction when most youngsters just go with the flow without a moments hesitation and facing the consequences later in life. Alcohol addiction. abuse or reaction is taken so lightly when a young person starts socialising on this level, reserving the word addiction for drugs and alcohol addiction for the older generation when it actually starts when you start drinking. Alcohol is so dangerous, unfortunately it normally takes terrible incidents in a persons life to realise this and hopefully give it up before its too late. If you have your doubts about alcohol now go with them and live your life without it - much better option and it could save your life.

Reply to Joey
Posted by: hope | 2007/08/09

there is hope for you. You are young and acknowledging that there could be a problem is key. The best thing for you to do to prevent you from becomming addicted to anything is to avoid it altogether. If you are easily addicted to things, start now by not formming bad habits. Remember that you control your own actions. An addiction can transform you into a person that you probably do not want to be. If you really believe you have a problem, you should seek help, such as AA programs. If you are still in school, there might even be a school counselor available for you to talk to. Just remember to be strong, and control yourself, otherwise, something else will control you.

Reply to hope