Posted by: AMANDA | 2004/10/27


Dear Diet Doc

I Have been trying now for the last six(6) months to lose some weight, after my baby was born, I picked up a lot of weight. I was diagnosed with a underactive thyrone but are taking medication for this 2x eltroxin 0.01mg every day.

I have tried all sorts of diets and are eating healthy (very healthy), but still I am not even losing one kg, please can you tell me why this is, I was reading in one of your letters that maybe I have develop a resistance against insulien, can that be?

Please can you give me some advice, I am just picking up weight and I am derpirate.

Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Amanda
The thyroid deficiency can also be playing a role. You need to discuss this with the prescribing dr as you may be able to adjust your dosage so that you stop gaining weight. When you see your dr, please ask him/her to send you for tests to determine if you have any other hormone imbalances such as insulin resistance or female hormone problems. If you do have insulin resistance it is essential to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will help you by working out a diet which controls the insulin resistance and helps you to lose weight. Another factor that often plays a role after childbirth, is depression which can make you gain a lot of weight. Consider if this could be a factor and if so do consult a clinical psychologist. Clinical psychologists are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you. He/she will help you to work out what underlying psychological problems are causing this reaction and help you to cope with them.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.