Question
Posted by: Kim | 2005/11/24

Desperately need to add weight

pls help. I need to pick say 10kgs. Whats the most effective products or programme to take up? Plz assist in anyway.

HI Kim

To gain weight, the one thing you must be careful about is simply eating more. At its most simple, gaining weight is done by taking in more energy (calories) than you use up during the day. If you do that, you gain weight. The problem is that if you do this, you will find that you gain fat mass, not lean mass, and this is never beneficial. There are quite a few people (though in the minority) who have this problem, but the key is to not gain fat mass, that only has negative consequence, and it's better to be underweight than to increase fat mass, as far as health benefits go. However, what you do want to do is increase lean muscle mass. This can be done by combining eating with exercise. if you again eat in excess of what you use up, then you gain weight. Now, to make sure that the weight you gain is lean tissue, you have to focus on cardio and weight training. Regular exercise helps to increase metabolic rate, which, when combined with a different type of eating, can cause weight loss, but if you combine it with appropriate diet, you will gain weight too. My advice then is to set aside 4 or 5 days a week, with an hour or so each, and do 2 days of cardio, 2 or 3 days of weight training. For a programme, check out the Fitness page of this site, then click on programmes and then select one of these, to give you a guide to how to do the weight training in particular. A lot of them are just using body weight so you can do them at home.

1
Posted by: Me,me | 2005/11/25

Im taking LifeGain and it works wonderes but i dont know for a healthy person because im HIV positive and lost weight and have gained 5kg in one week. Hope it jhelps

Reply to Me,me