Posted by: NJ | 2008/10/01

Desperate to gain weight

I have lost so much weight due to breast feeding i , can u imagine close to 20 kg that i lost. i am now desperate want to gain weigt. Can Dr recommend supplements. I changed wadrobe from size 36 to size 30 &  some 28. this is frustrating please help

Dear NJ
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. It is amazing how differently some women react to pregnancy and breastfeeding because you have lost 20 kg, while most of the other mothers who ask me questions about post-birth weight struggle to lose weight. I would firstly recommend that you have a checkup with the dr who has been monitoring your pregnancy, just to determine if you are not suffering from a medical conditions caused by the pregnancy (hyperthyroidism or diabetes). If you are given a clean bill of health, then click on 'Diet' at the top of this page,'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles on 'Weight Gaining'. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

Posted by: fatty | 2008/10/02

count yourself lucky , I will do anything to lose 20 kg but its so hard .and you lost weight without dieting and excersing ? count yourself lucky .we fat people struggle everyday to lose weight .

Reply to fatty