Question
Posted by: dh | 2003/03/05

Desperate Help!!!

At 24 my life is slowly falling apart,I used to be an extrovert but not any more
my social life is almost non existant and I try to keep out of the public eye
most of the time.and being single becoming very lonely.
The cause of this is the age old problem of balding.I used to have a lot of
confidence and life was good to me.Now when I see myself in the mirror I
look hideous.From being quite good looking to almost freak like has
totally shattered my life.I hear people making funny remarks about me.
I don't know what to do,life seems not worth living anymore,things can
only get worst for me,I am becoming extremely depressed.
I need some advice\help please....

Dear dh,
Slow down a little, here. YOu're a young person, presumably a man, who was and is good-looking, and has all the social skills necessary for a happy and jolly social life. But you have been losing your hair, and have decided to treat this as a catastrophe.
In fact, it'll only be as much of a catastrophe as you insist on making it. I wonder what patern of hair loss you're experiencing. The typical male pattern of hair loss is for the hairline to recede from the temples and forehead. There are also conditions like alopecia, in which hair is lost more irregularly, in patches.
So the first step, surely is to go and see a good dermatologist, and have him examine your scalp and hair, and advise you as to the precise nature of your hair-loss, and what can be done about it. Depending on the cause, quite a bit can be done nowadays, and there are products ( properly scientifically proven ones, not the quack remedies pushed on TV ) which can help quite a lot.
Secondly, if this sense of panic persists, consider seeing a counsellor, to help you get all this in perspective. Many women find bald heads very attractive ; and you'll have noticed that numerous young men, including pop stars, choose to shave their heads because they have decided that Bald is Beautiful.
If you're a young woman, the situation is slightly different, though again the visit to the dermatologist would be important, and there are treatments which could help. Again, wigs are available, and many women with excellent hear-growth coose to wear them for a range of reasons ; and there are even strikingly attractive women who have chosen to shave their heads ( step forward Sinead OCOnnor et al ).

7
Posted by: dh | 2003/03/10

Thank you to everyone for the vote of confidence......

Reply to dh
Posted by: tracy | 2003/03/07

I am married to a bald man and I would't change him for the world. Beauty fades and those people who feel that they are worthy to throw the forst stone all have their own little insecurities to deal with. If making fun of you makes them feel bigger, don't let it ba at your expense!

Reply to tracy
Posted by: Roxanne | 2003/03/06

Darling pls dont let losing your hair depress you like this. Go to the hairdresser and shave it all off. This is the coolest look at the moment, all the big stars have it. So go out there and live life to the fullest and remember being a really nice, good person also counts in this life.- So go and live it

Reply to Roxanne
Posted by: Roxanne | 2003/03/06

Reply to Roxanne
Posted by: dh | 2003/03/06

Thank you everyone for your time and inspiring words,I guess sometimes
things are easier said than done.I am still struggling to get used to being
well, almost bald,but like bear above says there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Reply to dh
Posted by: Zeena | 2003/03/05

Dear dh

THIS I have never understood about men -- this obsession with hair. Do you realise (yes, I know you're only 24) that women mostly do not care much about men's hair? I am wary of being rude on an open forum, but it's like the thing men have about their willies -- it's too small, they think, usually!! It's not the size of your hair or your more important parts that counts!! It's what you do with it, it's how you handle people, it's PERSONALITY!!!

There is nothing sillier than men with toupees or wigs. They THINK it's invisible, but boy oh boy, a woman can pick out those stupid nests like a seagull can see a fish from a mile up in the air. Rather give me a head like F W de Klerk than those of X or Y... those well-known TV personalities, one with the "thick white thatch" and the other with the perpetually smooth brown hairdo. It's not THEIRS!.

The sexiest man who ever lived in the 20th century was Yul Brynner. Yes, I know I'm older and can recall his films, but you can still see them on TCM! Yul lost his hair early on and just decided to shave off the lot. Yeee-gads!!! I'll take that man over 100 others with lots of hair! A case in point about a year or more ago was a very handsome British chef, (okay, probably gay) with a thick head of black hair. He was SO overly conscious of his damn hair on TV that in the end we didn't see his handsome face any more; we were just so irrtated by his obsession with his hair.

Handle the jokes and the making fun of you with a smile and a shrug. Don't get angry or withdrawn or go silent, because that is the kiss of death at your age. Say something like (which I' ve heard is true) "It's my overload of testosterone. Nothing I can do about it except, hmmm .... charm the ladies!"

Decide to be yourself. Hair loss in males is a genetic thing. There is not much you can do about it, and please forget about little stupid animals on your head. Be sweet and charming, and even if you do have heartache due to losing some of your beauty, don't let it influence your life too much.

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: bear | 2003/03/05

Someone once told me
"Know the power of WORDS!!!
By word you will be justified and by words you will be condemned "
death and life are in the power of the tongue

What you say will eventually come into being
may sound like a bunch of Crap but
so my only advise to you would be ....dont say it can only get worse ...try to be positive ...!!
the tables Turn !!!!
there is light at the end of the tunnel (somewhere!!!!!!!)
Good Luck

B.

Reply to bear