Question
Posted by: cat | 2005/06/13

desperate about work situation

I am stuck in such a bad situation, and I don't know how to get out!!! I've been working for the same company for 8 years, and 5 years ago my boss had a stroke. It was quite a serious one, and now he can't read or write properly anymore, and he battles to understand and remember things. He has been very courageous and has gone for therapy, to try and revert back to 'normal' again, but I don't think he will ever be the way he was before. The problem with this is, he is insisting on coming back to the office and trying to run his business again. This is enormously frustrating for me, because in the year that he was absent, I got given all the responsibility of basically running the place, and now he wants to make the decisions again but he is not functioning properly anymore and I end up having to first explain everything to him a thousand times over and then guide him into the right direction, all the while gritting my teeth out of frustration. My work satisfaction is zero and I am now suffering from depression and all sorts of stress-related illnesses. I have been looking for a new job for a number of years, but I can't find anything which will pay me as well and also the industry I work in is really not doing too well at the moment, so there are not a lot of options. I am not qualified to do anything else, and I can't afford to stop working because I have a toddler at home and my husband and I are paying off a bond. I don't know how to handle this situation - I have been accepting my boss' moodswings and difficulties because I understand what has happened to him, but it is really making my life miserable. However I think that it's probably his right to decide whether he wants to still be involved in his business, and since he is still my boss I don't quite know where to draw the line.

I agree with Paul, it's important to write your CV honestly, but in such a way as to accurately reflect what you have actually been doing, rather than sticking strictly to job titles, etc. Sometimes one has to decide whether to trade-off what may be job security and reasonable earnings against frustration.
It is a common and sad effect of stroke o other brain damage, that the individual doesnt want to, and may even have difficulty in managing to recognize the extent to which they have been damaged and are malfunctioning, and there can be what's called a 'catastrophic response' in which they react very fiercely to even very nicely worded criticism or anything, even situations, which reveal to them how impaired they are.

2
Posted by: Paul | 2005/06/13

Jeesh, that was not me!! If it is I think its time for meds again, cos I cannot remember it!

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Paul | 2005/06/13

Maybe try to revise your CV in a broader view of your work functions. I've done this and using the correct terminology did wonders in terms of response...

Good Luck !

Reply to Paul