Question
Posted by: Grandma | 2007/05/29

Desperate

My four month old grand daughter was a prem on 32 weeks and was born 21st January 2007. She got her first tooth at 2 months and has now 4 teeth. Since about two months ago she started crying a lot. We took her to several doctors who could not realy find anything wrong with her. Last night the GP prescribed gaviscon and said that she must not have any solids or anything else than milk for two months. The mother started with solids at about six weeks. Could that be the problem? What other OTC Medicine can we give her to make her calm? Regards and thanks!

Expert ImagePharmacist

I agree with the doc. My opinion is that solids was introduced too soon. As soon as the discomfort subsides, she should be calm.

1
Posted by: laura | 2007/05/30

Hi Gran just a lay opinion here but i have never heard of putting a baby on solids at 6 weeks - and she was a prem baby? I think the crying is caused by her poor little digestive system being put under undue stress. As it is her digestive system itself was prematurely developed at birth. Put her back on the breast till 6 months - i hope thats what she was on before.

Reply to laura