Question
Posted by: LB | 2007/02/23

Desperate

I suffer from depression, am on medication for about 4-5 years now, also take zopiklone daily. Despite all this about a year ago, after i lost my job, i made a suicide attempt, was in hospital for a couple of days and saw the hospital psychiatrist for a while, however since then i've been worse. I just do not care about anything. I am simply existing. Cant afford to see a psyciatrist, was hoping you could put me in touch with someone in the CapeTown area who could help? I still have suicide thoughts but simply don't even have the will to try anything. Help?

I can't keep track of specific therapists and shrinks round the country, but check out what's available at Groote Schuur's Dept of Psychiatry, and Tygerberg, and the Depts of Psychiatry at UCT and Stellenbosch, as both have some excellent shrinks who should be able to advise. SOunds like medication needs to be reviewed and if possible CBT counselling added. Don't give up, as this problem ought to be soluble.