Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2006/04/04

Desperate

I weight 60kg which I am entirely satisfied with and even though I gym every single day and eat healthy.. I just CANNOT seem to get rid of the fat around my stomach. Im sure if I lost my tummy weight Id be down to 55kg. I have been battling for 5 years now.
What to do??

Unfortunately, what you are faced with is a very difficult problem, and not one that is easy to resolve. The problem is that you are not excessively overweight and so trying to burn fat is not the same as it would be for someone with say, 20 kg to lose.

However, the solution is the same, regardless - plenty of cardiovascular training to burn energy, combined with a good diet. Exercise will include walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said that, it is still important to do some strengthening and toning exercise and obviously to include exercises that make use of the muscle groups in your abdominal area. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. My advice with regards to the overall training, is that you check out the Fitness page of this site, then click on Programmes, and choose one of the Shape Up programmes. They are all cardio based, and they do include some weight training. Just remember, it’s the cardio that is the main ‘weapon’ against this fat, so stick with it, give it months to work (not weeks) and it will eventually happen.