Question
Posted by: Thembi | 2007/06/20

Desparate pls help!

My hubby is HIV+ and I'm negative. We want to have a child but we ar eafraid of doing it the normal way. I heard that there is something called artificial insemination. Can it help us, and is the baby going to be fine since the father is positive?

My other worry is that we failed to conceive before we knew of his status. His sperms are weak, infact they are like water. Can I be helped? He has a son from previous relationship and I also have a son form previous relationship.

Dear Thembi

It would be extremely important to have a sperm analysis done prior to embarking on any specific treatment plan. The sperm parameters be not overtly abnormal then an insemination with sperm wash is feasible since the risk of transmission is minimal. However to be extremely safe invitro fertilisation would be the more advisable option. Also the choice of insemination versus in vitro fertilisation would depend on whether your tubes are patent or blocked. This can be tested by means of an x-ray called an HSG or if indicated by means of a surgical procedure called a laparoscope.