Posted by: Cat Lady | 2008/11/20

Dermatologist/ Plastic Surgeon or?

I am 69 and due to my lifestyle as a " beach baby: many years ago when a tan was THE thing to have I have wrinkles, deep lines around the lips and quite a few of my face. I am now 69 and would like to look a bit better than a wrinkled old bag.

Can you please tell me who to consult? I am dead scared of Botox by the way as I have a feeling one cannot smile or laugh or anything like that. Can you please advise me on that as well.

Thank you.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Cat Lady, thank you for the question.

The answer to your question is entirely dependent on whether you would like surgical or non surgical treatments. Furthermore, there is a specific indication for non surgical treatments and one should also take into consideration what your expectations are and the possible benefits that can be achieved with these treatments. Some patients may need a combination of the two approaches to achieve the best possible results.

As a rough guideline non surgical treatments (skin rejuvenation, skin tightening technologies, chemical peels, Botox, and fillers) have excellent results and visible benefits, when applied appropriately, for the skin, dynamic wrinkles (lines created by facial movement) and recreating volume to the face. Surgical treatments are best applied for excessively loose skin and the fatty pads that have moved from their original positions.

Regarding the point you made about Botox, today the teaching for any cosmetic procedure is along two broad principles: fitstly, the end result should look natural, and secondly, the treatment plan should be tailor made to suit the patient. Following from this, whoever you choose to consult (dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or an aesthetic medical practitioner), it is vital to get a word of mouth referral, ask for before and after photographs that the doctor has treated and in the areas that concern you, and that he or she completely understands your wishes in what the final end result should look like.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.