Posted by: tori | 2008/07/28

Hi skin doctor could you please tell me more about the dermasure suncare range for face and wha is your opinion on it

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Tori, thank you for the question.

Dermasure uses Uvinol M40 (Benzophenone – 3) UVA and UVB Blocker and Uvinol MC80 (Octyl methoxycinnimate) UVB Blocker in their sun screens.
Benzophene also known as Oxybenzone (it is a derivative of benzophenone). A 2008 study by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found the compound to be present in 96.8% of human urine samples analyzed as part of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.

This organic compound has been shown to penetrate into the skin where it acts as a photosensitizer. This results in an increased production of free radicals under illumination, which makes this substance a photocarcinogen.This study is actually of benzophenones, not oxybenzones. Two years after the study this information is now reaching consumers, but this photocarcinogen can still be found in many sunscreens.
The photomutagenic properties of these compounds might be a contributing factor to the increased melanoma incidence that has been found in sunscreen users.

Following from the above my advice is not to use this as your sunscreen.