Question
Posted by: Moon | 2004/02/23

Derealisation

Dear Cybershrink
I followed your advice to see a psychiatrist about the derealisation I experience, and he prescribed Risperdal 1 mg twice a day. He didn’t want to tell me what is wrong with me. Something in your response to Jean about derealistation, makes me wonder if what I experience is related to a psychotic illness?

Dear Moon,
Obviously, it's hard to know, at this distance. Similar symptoms can arise in relation to a psychotic illness ( and shrinks tend to be skittish about telling people about such a diagnosis, sadly ) which might respond well to Risperdal, though the dose is rather low for hat. And in a psychotic illness, one would expect a number of other symptoms which you have not described.
But Risperdal could also be used for some anxiety disorders, and would be safer to use in the long-term in such a situation, than the more popylar Benzo's ( the valium family ) which can produce problems of dependency when taken for more than a short time.