Question
Posted by: Lee | 2007/04/28

Depressions - been on different meds

Please help! I don't know anymore, I have been using different medication on and off for the past ten years starting when 'n was in St.7!!! I have been on Cipralex, Cipramil, Aropax, Lilly Fluoxetine, Wellbutrin and Efexor - it goes ok on them but as soon as it's time to stop the cycle it all comes back! I am scared of myself already, my marriage is a mess and my child doesn't know what's wrong with mommy. The Fluoxetine worked great, but then after more than a year it got worse on meds! I know I have to go see someone but who where what??? It feels as if no one can help anymore and I feel like ending this monster cycle!!!!!!!

Some of us do well while on an antidepressant and relapse into depression when it is withdrawn. The best international guidelines I read in recent years agreed that if one has had three relapses ( and some would say even two ) one should then probably remain on antidepressant medication long-term, even permanently, if this enables one to function normally. And yet again, I recommend proper Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) counselling which can help one control and cope with Depression, and can be as effective as antidepressant medication, and has lasting benefits.
And as Just Me suggests, be sure you are seeing a good local psychiatrist rather than a GP --- Gps can handle many basic Depressions, but when the problem is chronic, recurring, complex or severe, one ought to see only a specialist psychiatrist

4
Posted by: Lee | 2007/05/01

Thanks Just Me & doc. I know it might be time to seek a pshyciatrist but it feels so awkward. I am at a stage where I am desperate! I tried calling my GP so ask for a referral to one, but no answer and I just thought "well, maybe that's the sign that I shouldn't go - hey I can cope on my own" till 2 secs after! What is wrong with me??? Why can't I cope like everyone else - why do I need happy pills to keep me functioning. I have quit my job, irritating my husband and screaming at my daughter - I feel like a monster!
Just Me, here is my e-mail address if it allows it through if you feel like it to mail me - *******
Have a great day u all!

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Lee | 2007/05/01

Like I said if it allows it through - it gave an error - lets try leefs at ananzi dot co dot za

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Maria | 2007/04/28

Have you had therapy as well, or just meds? To deal with depression you also need help learning how to change negative thought patterns.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Just me | 2007/04/28

Hi Lee,

Have you seen a psychiatrist or are you like me trusting your GP?

I Have also been on and of med since STD 7, it didn't help
as I am sufftering from bipolar and found that I thought my highs
were actually my normal states.

When my lithium levels were check (about a year ago) it was found to be nearly non existant. I am now taking lithium and effexor and have found it beneficial.

Please ask to be refered to a good psychiatrist and let him look after you.

Best of luck. Your child needs you!!

Reply to Just me