Question
Posted by: Cherie | 2004/02/03

Depression Treatment Alternatives

I have recently been diagnosed as suffering from depression.
The therapist I have seen has recommended treatment via hypnotism,
without medication.

What are your thoughts on this sort of treatment, I am trying to establish
other opinions on this and other recommendations and other possible treatments.

What can you recommend ?

Thank you.

I would run, not walk, from any "therapist" who gives such truly bad advice. There is not a single shred of good evidence on earth that hypnotism is ever an effective treatment for Depression, and there are significant risks involved. Not one single competent world authority on Depression, anywhere, nor one single competent and authoritative expert organization of health professionals, would support the advice to treat Depression with hypnosis. Do NOT accept any such treatment, which can only be based on a failure to know or understand the wealth of reseach and expert opinion on Depression and it's treatment. And to advise such an ineffective treatment, and to advise against the use of medication, is a rash act, which, if this person is registered with the Health Professions Council could risk an inquiry into such conduct.
See a properly trained and qualified psychiatrist for re-assessment ( to be sure you are actually Depressed ) and for competent advice on treatment.

1
Posted by: Dianne | 2004/02/04

Personally I don't recommend hypnotism.

Reply to Dianne