Question
Posted by: CPT Girl 28 | 2007/08/04

Depression support group

Is there a support group in Cape Town for those who suffer from depression? It has been suggested I book into a facility for a full-time program but I would rather have assistance which will not interfere with work.

There should be such a Support Group --- call the number given on this page for the national HQ of the Depression/Anxiety Support Group, or check out their website. I understand what you want --- just check with your shrink that this depression will be likely to manage well with Outpatient care, before rejecting a period of inpatient care --- if the treatment doesn't start being effective before long, the Depression will interfere with work, too. And check on the availability of CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) locally, a method of counselling with excellent and lasting results, which works best as an outpatient, though one can of course start as an inpatient

1
Posted by: Maria | 2007/08/04

Go to the Health24 main page. Click on the dark blue Medical block at the top. In the yellow block on the right, click Depression. In the light blue block on the right, click Support Groups.

You can also call the Depression and Anxiety group helpline, number at the top of this page.

Who suggested that you book in for a fulltime program? If it was a doctor or psychologist I think you should seriously consider it. Your depression is probably interfering with work anyway.

Reply to Maria