Question
Posted by: BBS | 2007/04/03

Depression problems

CS I haven't been here for a while but anyway previously I sought a lot of advice for terrible depression. I thought you might like an update. After really struggling with depression and trying various anti-depressants and having numerous tests I was eventually sent to a gynae. Well to cut a long story short I had a hysterectomy 2 months ago as a result of having a fibroid the size of a 14 week fetus in my uterus and my left ovary had to be removed as well as it was bleeding. Since my hormonal problems have been solved I am almost totally free of depression and I feel great!!!
The lesson here was that I kind of knew there was something wrong and what it was but I put it off until eventually my psychiastrist could tell I was bluffing about my monthly cycle being normal etc and he told me to see him again only after I had been to the gynae - a bit of a tough love doc he is! He referred me to a wonderful gynae and I am so much better. There is even a chance that at a later stage I can be weened off anti depressants.
No one should ever ignore what their bodies tell them!

Thanks for the update. Interesting story with a moral for all readers. Hormonal probnlems ( and anaemia due to heavier than usual bleeding ) can both mimic Depression ( but not respond to antidepressants ) and can also promote and worsen any depression there for other reasons.
I'm delighted to hear that your problem has been cleared up and that you're feling well.