Question
Posted by: nova | 2004/11/14

depression or sadness?

I believe that I am very sad because I am stuck in an incompatible and unloving marriage through no fault of my own. But somethimes I have nagging doubts that depression from within me makes me very sad and unable to deal effectively with my situation. More and more often, I am tearful, irritable, plain gloomy and I am withdrawing more and more from others around me. i don't dislike anyone except my husband, but I really prefer to be alone. Being alone makes me happy. i smile, I sing, I get energetic, I seem able to breathe more deeply. Any suggestions?

Hello nova,
You raise an interesting and important point, as the Depression, depression, blues, unhappiness, and grief are obciously similar but not identical. And a vicious spiral can soon arise, whereby Depression, perhaps chemical can cause or amplify marriage problems, which worsens the Depression ; or the cycle can start with the miserable marriage.
The fact that you say you feel so well when alone, suggests the origins of your gloom lie within the marriage, as a chemically induced gloom would persist, and often wouldn't be open to allowing you to feel happy, even if you won the lottery and the Nobel Prize. As Garrit says, mariage counselling if he recognizes there are problems and will cooperate on seeking a solution ; or condier separation / divorce.

1
Posted by: Garrit | 2004/11/14

Marrige councelling?
Divorce?
Make a plan you deserve to be happy- there is no need to spend you life unhappy- it is obvious that you are unhappy in your marrige and may be causing you to feel the way you are- and that is not good at all. You have to get help, or get out!
Good luck, hope u find what you looking for!

Reply to Garrit