Question
Posted by: blue | 2004/02/29

depression is taking over my life

hi doc
i feel like my life is dictated by my depression.ive been on medication for a while now& ive tried alternatives as uve suggested to other people.the years just seem to be passing me by,all 23 of them!!! every thought i have of the future is plagued by how i feel now.i know how important it is to be positive at a time like this but anyone who has ever been depressed will know how difficult it is to motivate yourself.every part of me is numb and all it feels like right now is that im merely existing. my social life is non existent,ive pushed everyone away, im not getting along with my family, i hate my job, i cant imagine having a partner bcos i really dont have anything to offer right now and my self image is so low that i have anxiety attacks when i have to be in public and around people.
ive had suicidal thoughts but i can never imagine acting on them bcos in all honesty im hoping things will get better.
im just so stuck and ive got so many thoughts running through my mind that im tormenting myself.
this cant be what life is all about.i know i have to make things happen for myself,where do i find the physical and mental energy to get myself back on track.
please advise,i am really in a bad place right now

Dear blue,
You're right to hope that things will get better. In the long run, een without any treatment, most Depressions lift and one gets better --- but of course one wants to spend as little time as possible in misery, hence the value of therapy. A couple of thoughts. It's often worthwhile, when one's treatment results seem to be stuck in a rut, to get a second opinion, and see a different shrink, for a fresh assessment, which can get a new slant on the issues and probems, and on their management. The other thought is that if you haven't tried CBT, Cognitive therapy is truly useful, with significant and pasting benefits. I now it's not easy to find someone experienced in providing this method, but it's worth looking about. With your intelligence and motivation, and verbal fluency ( and logic !) you ought to be capable of doing very well with it.

2
Posted by: k00s | 2004/02/29

& by the way,,,start imagining yourself as someone worth havin a partner,,,u r being very hard on yourself whilst by simply being a human being u hav the whole world to offer to someone else.

Reply to k00s
Posted by: k00s | 2004/02/29

uve received good advise already,,,u might even try reading some of the stuff cybershrink is referring to,,,its a very logical appraoch & even just reading the basic principles & applying them to your daily life might take u some way,,,look for books on Cognitive Behavioral therapy or Rational Emotive tharapy.

another thing i would like to suggest is excercise...theres a lot to b said for pure & simple old excercise,,,it releases natural painkillers & generally gets one goin even in times when u r stuck in a rut,,,makes u feel better bout yourself etc etc etc..& it doesnt have to cost a thing- only some willpower

byt vas,,,& try to make a bit more contact with others too,,even if its only on a limited scale to start of with

Reply to k00s