Question
Posted by: Angel | 2007/02/19

Depression does not end

Hi Doc,

I have been on Anti Depressants for two years now and they do not seem to work. My sister passed away nearly five years ago and i have not been able to get over it. I am always so tired, withdrawn, don't want to do anything, just feel worthless and I don't know what to do. I have thoughts about suicide but try my hardest to think of the positive but it is really hard. My sister has Bipolar - what are the chances that I could have this? What should I do as I have been feeling terrible and because I am so stressed I have been having heart palpitations and i am only 25.

Thank you very much for your time

Dear Angel
Depression is only partly treated with medication. Especially after such a traumatic episode and with a family history of bipolar, you need psycological counselling too. Aso ensure that you get some exercise 3 times a week and use Vit Bco and Magnesium supplements.
Have been in a similar situation 3 years ago - it is difficult, and the changes in the family dinamics and on your life are huge and not always what you wanted but one doesn't really have much of a choice, do you - one has to move on for the family that is left? See if you can find a good trauma counsellor/psycologist/pastoral counsellor.