Question
Posted by: DBB | 2004/11/25

Depression Christmas

Morning Doc,
Seeing as Christmas is a month away I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep the depression I seem to always get at the festive season. I have been doing well lately and I don want to wall into the depression mood . I have already turned away invites for Christmas day as I am never in a good mood. Once I take my child home I will be by myself for the day as I don’t want to spoil it for anyone else. I have also been invited to go away with friends for a week I told them I would think about it .i cant remember the last time I was happy at Christmas.

Funny thing is a coupla years ago I wrote a brilliant article about dealing with Christmas Blues, and I can't remember what I said in it ! Must be having a grey monet ! It sounds like part of your problem may be that you have built yourself an impregnable set of expectations and assumptions as if it's impossible for you to feel cheerful at Christmastime ( actually, you can ) Isn't it possible that when surrounded by loving friends or family * maybe som are aftually both !) your mood might improve, and you might not have to be Ebenezer Scrooge for the duration ?
Byt the way, ever read or watched a good movie version of Dickins A Christmas Carol ? It has some useful messages about this issue !
Most of us don't feel better if we insist on being alone. And lady nina raises the other point I wanted to raise --- it's a time of year when there's so much of value that you can do by donating your time to helping others in need ( and interesting and educational for your child to accompany you, in most cases, too !)
What a splendid example you have set, nina !
And DBB, Depression isn't truly infectous, but joy sometimes can be. Take a chance of maybe catching some ?

5
Posted by: DBB | 2004/11/25

Thank you all for the advise given . I cant see myself not getting depressed over the Christmas period at the moment in my life I have had a staff member pass away this week , girlfriend moved out after 7 years together and my X wife told me yesterday that our child has been acting strange lately like why did we break up and why don’t we all go out for parties and thinks like that.
I will try my best to keep on smiling but if I feel the depression coming along I will lock myself way for a week or so
Thanks again and God bless u all

Reply to DBB
Posted by: 7 | 2004/11/25

Hey DBB,

I hope you have a special christmas that is filled with lots of happiness and joy this year. I find it sad when other dotn enjoy or have a tough time of christmas time as its such a happy important time - to be spent with your family and freinds... to remember that its a celebration of Jesus too.

I feel sorry for $iren who says once was a christian and now no-longer.... if you truely find God you dont turn away - how can one ...after he's done so much. I pray too $iren that you will be able to oneday see the true light of Christ as you must have been involved in an area that wasnt really a true reflection of Jesus. And that you were hurt by it.

I encourage you to be with family and freinds over this time !

Reply to 7
Posted by: $iren | 2004/11/25

I'm with Lady Nina on this. Spend the day at the Sparrows Home or the Twilight Children's Shelter. It will make you feel so fortunate and lucky, and the joy of giving and helping others will warm and gladden your heart.

I hate Christmas too, in fact my mom tells me I have since she can remember, even as young as 5 years old. Luckily for me, I am no longer Christian and so I don't celebrate it at all, and that has definitely helped

Reply to $iren
Posted by: lady nina | 2004/11/25

hi there

i find that when i start giving something to someone less fortunate than me, i can't help but feel thankful for what i have and that cheers me up

one year ( just after we separated from their father ) me and the girls cooked x mas lunch for the local police station afterwards some of the young ladies came to do the dishes and we had a ball of a time together - my girls gave their old toys and cloths to one of the ladies to give to her kids for x mas since she was working that day and the kids was alone at home

this year the kids have to go with their father ( i don't know if he will be here but just in case ) so we are going on leave the week before hand - we will be visiting some friends who runs a home for metaly challenging people, and the kids will arange a little outing for the kids, their is only 6 of them but my kids have to experience the great feeling of giving rather that receiving...
if i'm alone for x mas day and the kids are with their father, i'll get myself a wonderfull movie - my favourite is 'SHINDLERS LIST" and in the evening after fetching the kids i'll have a chocolate fondue of something small

i find that if i get depressed and moody, i have to reach out and stop focussing inside

take care

nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Jingle bells | 2004/11/25

You know if you are surrounded with friends that sad/down mood will soon turn and be lifted - trust me...

The last thing you shoudl do is be by yourself - thats asking to have a real depressing time.

Go away with some friends enoy time away from home and new surrounds. You end up having an awesome time!!!!

God bless and pls dont allow yourself to be alone over that time...its a time of joy(the birth of Christ) not a time of sadness.

Reply to Jingle bells