Question
Posted by: gogo | 2007/05/17

Depression-Career Change

I am an accountant. I have serious depression that is affecting my work and marriage. Been to see a shrink a few times, she says I must change my career because this is "killing" me. Been an accountant for 13 years now, but my passion is conservation and wildlife. It's not easy to leave everything and start from scratch.
Any idee's, drinking pills, but they don't seem to help.

No, it certainly isn't easy to leave it all behin and start afresh --- and before making such a drastic move, it would be wise to get a second opinion, after a re-assessment by a very different shrink. CBT counselling might well help you to conquer the depression and to explore various alternatives, which could include refreshing your work within accountanct, adding conservation, etc. to your life as a busy hobby --- maybe bcome an accountant to a major wild-life or conservation group ? I like your idea of adding management expertise to your existing expertise, and then applyiong all that to the wildlife-conservation field

4
Posted by: Tick | 2007/05/17

My hubby is an accountant and his career is also driving him crazy - he is burnt out. I think that a change of company often helps. Maybe u should try something with less stress and see how that helps. Otherwise why not take a long holiday to sort out what u want...cbt is a good way to also sort it out

Reply to Tick
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/17

you see - then you can sort their finances out as well. You can send me a free weekend and let me feed the hefalumps when you get that dream job!

Reply to RMC
Posted by: gogo | 2007/05/17

Could possibly. Thinking of doing Wildlife management program, can then help clients in this line as well. Or manage a gamefarm, etc.

Reply to gogo
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/17

Can't you use your accountng expertise in wildlife and conservation? For example, a colleague's daughter finished her law degree last year - but has the same interest so she is now specialising in envronmental law.

Reply to RMC