Question
Posted by: stuck | 2004/01/22

depression and work

Dear cybershrink

im a 23 yr old female & have suffered from depression for about 5 yrs.its been a case of feeling up & down but when im down,i have no energy & my whole life changes because all i want to do is stay in bed& have no commitments to anything.

ive been taking anti depressants but they dont seem to be doing much & in the past they sometimes have helped. my depression is triggered by my weight & self esteem.im lacking so much confidence right now & all i want to do is stay at home in bed but then i feel guilty for not exercising which i dont have the energy for.when im not feeling down,i can usually get very into gym.my diet is a healthy 1 but at the same time,eating along with watching tv are about the only things i enjoy doing.
ive become completely antisocial & my problem is that i dont want to come to work everyday because i cant bare to get dressed.my question is do i quit my job to take care of myself or live everyday being as unhappy & miserable as i am now?i started a new job this year.

sorry this is so long,but things are that bad.
thanks for listening

Dear stuck,
No, don't quit your job -- they're hard to come by, and if you stayed at home you would NOT "take care of yourself", but would sit in bed feeling worse and eating too much while exercising too little. Don't you have Medical Aid at work ? Souds like you need a second opinion from an expert specialist psychiatrist, to re-assess your previous experiences with treatment as well as assessing your current state, and advising on comprehensive treatment. This might include a better choice of antidepresant, but also counselling to work on your negative self-image and a program of gym exercise and a better diet. If you lie in bed just waiting to feel better, it could be a long wait. But if you become actively involved in getting better, you could be feeling hugely better than this.