Question
Posted by: gog | 2005/07/01

Depression and my friends

Hello, i have a couple of girlfriends who are very negative, and very depressed most of the time, they are always sad and worried about life and things that they can do nothing about, they are generally always stessed, sad etc. I also feel like this sometimes,but know that i have to stay positive and live life to the fullest, we are between the ages of 24 - 28. I am at a stage know where i realise that this can be serious, and i badly want to help them through these though times, but dont know how!

How can i help a depressed person, who feel that life is letting them down, what can i do from my side, i am very worried about my friends.

gog

Check the archives, as we've dealt with this question many times before. If they are depressed, the first thing is to encourage them to see a shrink for a proper assessment and then a treatment plan. And the other replies are sound on what you can do in addition to that

2
Posted by: SG | 2005/07/01

TRy to talk positive/good/happy things to them and avoid all negative talk/actions.Get them out as much as possible and have fun,lots of it.Do not get wrapped in their negativeness if they don't try and help themselves.
Be understanding and kind with them but don't allow them to harp on unhappy thoughts.

Reply to SG
Posted by: KC | 2005/07/01

I envy people like you, positive and optimistic.
Great qualities to have.

I'm going through a bit now and i have this friend who's basically in your position. You know you can obviously not take over their problems for them, but you can make them feel that they can talk to you.

Send them positive e-mails to let them know you thinking about them - not those chain e-mails, personal 'How are you today' emails.

There's nothing worse (for me) than being depressed and feeling alone.

Having a good shoulder to lean on is a big help. Your friends are lucky to have you.....

Just on the other side - u must not allow them to totally dominate your relationship with their problems. Know where to draw the line.

I am only giving my opinion based on my OWN experiences.

Have a good weekend.

Reply to KC