Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2004/11/11

Depression and cutting herself

Dear doc,
My friend cuts herself on her arms. She is depressed and the other day I saw her shake uncontrolable, she saw people in the room raping her, her hands cramped up. She looked terrified. During this spell I took her to the local GP he gave her a Valuim injection and sent her home. I took the razor blade away from her but I don't know how else to help.

Sandy, clearly she is a very disturbed young woman. Though self-cutting is more common than most people think, and may not indicate that someone is very disturbed, "seeing people in her room raping her" sounds ominous. A Valium injection wouldn't cure whatever's wrong with her. She needs to be seen and properly assessed by a specialist psychiatrist, to establish a proper diagnosis and advise on what treatment is necessary. Maybe she has a psychotic illness, or maybe she's been taking street drugs that have disturbed her --- there are many possibilities, and she needs a careful examination and assessment to clarify what is needed. You might ask the GP to reccomend and arrange for her to see a good local psychiatrist, or arrange to see one through the casualty Dept of a good large local hospital.

1
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2004/11/11

Do you know whether she is receiving conselling? If not she needs to, the GP should have referred her. There isn't much a person can do except be there as a friend and sorry to say even though you took the razor away if she wants to hurt herself, she is going to, I have even used a stable because they took my scissors away and all my knifes are broken and don't have a blade. I must say I don't like the look of my arms and hands and even legs, just keep an eye on her, don't fight with her because she does this, just help her to keep the cuts clean and beware that she doesn't cut too deep, but she must definitely get help. Good luck
Take care

Reply to Beyond Tired