Posted by: Fanuel | 2013/01/07


My wife of 15 years was diagnosed with depression over 4 months ago by our GP and was given meds. She refused to take them and insisted our GP''s dignosis was wrong , since then she has been retrenched, lost her car and has been behaving irrationally including mood swings. We have 2 kids 13 and 7 , everything i do it appears to irritate her to no ends to the extent that she has requested for a divorce as soon as she can find the means to support herself .I initially thought i was the problem and went out of my way to accomodate her , to no avail. How can i help her at least to accept that the diagnosis given was correct , inorder to get her help?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Its terribly sad that fa too many people who develop the serious and common disorder we call Depression, prefer to convince themselves that this is not so and to avoid effective treatment that could help them to feel and cope so much better. Any lawyer who agrees to help anyone so obviously distressed and not in her normal state of mind, to seek divorce or take any other formal legal action, woul;d be very foolish. Maybe she should see an expert psychiatrist for a fresh assessment, and you can suggest that this will be a secon opinion, and she'll be able to state to him clearly why she disagrees with the GP's diagnosis and why she feels so sure she should not receive effective treatment, and maybe she can agree to acccept the psychiatrist's opinion, as truly expert, as valid and advice worth following ?
Is there anyone else in her own family and friends who she is more likely to liosten to, who could approach her to encourage her to similarly seek the help she needs ?

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: fanuel | 2013/01/09

I am still trying to find out who best i can approach whom she might listen too , it is kind of difficult at the moment because everyone she speaks to whom we both have access to have found her behaviour irrational , consistantly accross both family''s that she now refuses to associate with anyone as she says that no one understands her and that all are taking my side. I am really worried about her and do not quite know what to do , if only she could accept or at least get a second opinion. Don''t quite know how to encourage her to do so without making the situation worse

Reply to fanuel

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.