Question
Posted by: H25 | 2011/09/04

DEPRESSION

CS

There is something else that I didn''t mention. My mom keeps wanting to sleep all the time - I know my gp said this is very common with people with depression, but at 6 she is insisting on eating so that she can go to bed at 7. She sleeps at least 12-13 hours and still sleeps sometime during the day. How do I get her out of this cycle? My one sister-in-law said I need to get her into a regular routine at home doing things, so that she doesnt sit in the apartment and dwell on my step''dad''s death, etc but I just cant get her do do anything. She does enjoy the walking, but that''s about it.

Thanks again

Excessive sleep can have many causes, including depression. The only really good way to deal with it is to identify the cause and deal with that. SO IF there is significant depression, it needs to be properly treated ( and remember, Eglonyl, mysteriously beloved by many SA GPs, is NOT an antidepressant ).
You've done well to get her involved in the walking, and I'm sure with your ingenuity, you will come up with other things she can do, to exercise, help with chores round the house, help you, and so on

1