Posted by: Odie | 2009/09/14


I' ve been diagnosed with depression about a year and a half ago. I' m on Serlife 100mg. Due to financial reasons i cant afford to take the medication anymore, and it feels as if i' m gonna go insane. I' ve got horrible mood swings, i get aggressive, i' m teary, tired, etc etc. This behaviour is not good for my relationship with my boyfriend and our 13 year old daughter.
I want to know if there is somewhere else that I can get my medication for cheaper.
I live in Cape Town in the Northern Suburbs
Please help. Cause i cant anymore.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

GOod response from Liza. Zoloft was the original brand name of Sertraline, and there are cheaper generics available. A pharmacist could advise whether there is a cheaper gneric form of Sertraline available in SA than Serlife ; otherwise see a psychiatrist at a state clinic, as there could be cheaper antidepressants of the same family as sertraline,, such as Cilift, which could be useful. You are entitled to proper treatment at any large government hospital or clinic

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: ANGELA | 2010/02/24

Can one of the side effects be weight loss?

Reply to ANGELA
Posted by: Liza | 2009/09/14

You could go to your closest government clinic with a mental health department and get your medication there. They will probably put you on a different AD though. I doubt whether they supply Serlife (they didn' t when I got my meds from them). Some of the AD' s that they do supply include aropax and cilift. I know that the Ysterplaat clinic does give meds, but you see a regular doc there, not a psychiatrist for specialist assessment. I don' t know whether this would help, but it' s the only suggestion I have.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.