Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/11


my son has been seen a counsellor for several weeks now and she has concluded he is suffering from depression and has recommended he go for an assessment to see if medication is required or not. can anyone recommended a specialist that is not too expensive or any other alternatives - he is not on medical aid and is an adult

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Generally, specialists charge standard fees. The Depression/Anxiety Support Group ( number on this page ) should be able to recommend some suitable psychiatrists near you, and may have some idea of the osts involved. IF the specialist can do a good assessment and diagnosis, and recommend medications ( and ask for recommendations also for alternative antidepressants to change to if the first choice doesn't work as well as desired, your GP can write the prescriptions from then on And ask for the med recommendations in terms of Generic Drugs, which are cheaper but equivalent to the big name versions of the same drugs, and can make a major difference in costs.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.