Posted by: very worried | 2008/09/25

Hi CS,

I know that I am suffereing from depression. I have an appointment to see a shrink but only in November (fully booked till then). I am really feeling very down and now one of my co workers has noticed just by hearing my voice on the phone.

This worries me as I am a swithchboard operator and I cannot afford to sound " down"  even if I do feel that way. My gp did not give me any ad as I have already tried 4 types and none of them have helped and the side effects are really bad. My gp said I must see a shrink and take it from there.

The way I feel today I don' t know if I can wait that long, even if I got an ad today they still take time to take effect. It all seems so hopeless and I cannot let it all effect my work!!! I also feel there is nobody that I can talk to as everybody has their own problems and does not need to be burdend with mine!!

I am physically and mentally just soooo tired.......

Its a pity that mental health takes such a low priority in government health policies and provisions, as its clear that private practice is very busy, as your November appointment shows. As you have had problems with other ADS or with tolerating the initial side-effects, it makes good sense for you to see a good local shrink. Check whether you might be able to arrange to see a counsellor / psychotherapist to start CBT (Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) sooner --- the Anxiety-Depression Support Group, number on this pafe ) can help you findn one ; and indeed one of their support groups could also be helpful for you. And talk with Lifeline, too.