Question
Posted by: hopeless | 2008/07/22

Depression

is there a way to cure depression without medication. most days it feel like the world in crashing in. all my dreams and hope have blown up into smoke. like you are in quick sand and sinking. currently im jobless, in debt recentaly boyfriend broke up with me. nothing my friends say or do can make me happy. i burst out weeping sometimes i dont know why. the panic attacks are starting again and thats because ive been so stress out. i dont like going to doctors or taking medication. all i want is my happy life back again.

To some extent. Medication can be very useful in dealing with the chemical aspects of Depression, which are real and serious. But one specific variety of psychotherapy / counselling, called CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) has been shown by good research to be at least as effective as the medications, with lasting benefits, and obviously it deals more specifically with aspectslike one's assumptions, habits, and exp[ectations. Nobody can wave a wand and give you back the happy life you had ; but with the aid of a CBT therapist, you yourself can create a happier and sturdier way of life, in which you for instance, might find better love and relationships, but without giving anyone else the power you gave away to this bf, enabling him to devastate you by leaving.

2
Posted by: hopeless | 2008/07/23

i have to disagree with you there doc.i didnt give my power away to my bf. its just the opposite having him in my life has only gave me more power. it help alot that we are still friends now. i would have to say that i wasnt really living till i meet him. he showed me that its ok to be myself.

Reply to hopeless
Posted by: hopefull | 2008/07/22

Hi hopeless, now exactly how you are feeling. In 1998 i suffered burn-out from stress, then followed a nervous breakdown, then went into depression for 8 long years. Fought through it without medication or psychologists and doctors. I never wanted to take medication. It was very difficult and just when u think you are coming up for air you back into the swirling black hole. The suicide of a 19 year old boy who i knew was the first real light i saw. Slowly i started looking for the things in life that made it worth while- very small things- like the singing of a bird, the smell off flowers. You have to take a deep breath, look at everything you have that is worth getting out the dark hole for. But do go and talk to someone, it really is very very very difficult trying to do it on your own. Trying to do it on my has had its negative effects, i get tired very easily, i still isolate myself from people sometimes and hide in my art studio and paint for long hours on end, i am not very sociable. I do make an effort though when i do get out to go and do things i enjoy, scuba diving, hiking (with only 4-8 people) camping, horseriding etc. There really is hope in all the choas. I hope you get better and really enjoy life to the full.

Reply to hopefull