Question
Posted by: joe | 2006/04/12

depression

I'd like someone to advise me as to taking the first step in obtaining help for my girlfreind who I believe shows signs of constant and deep depression. Who do we contact for an assessment in the JHB / Sandton/ Randburg area? Do you get a refer via an ordinary GP or do we set up an appointnment with a psycholgist or psychiatrist direct (from yellow pages etc). I am very anxious to get a professional opinion as soon as possible and do not want to waste unnecessary time

It is your g who really needs to take the essential steps --- to recognize that she is depressed, and does have a problem, and needs treatment which can help her to feel enormously better. Encourage her to see ANY psychiatrist or even GP in her area, for a start. I get the impression that many psychiatrists are accepting direct referrals, but in case this causes any delays, your quickest bet might be to get a referral from a GP nearby

1
Posted by: Twig | 2006/04/12

Hi joe

Unless someone can recommend a good psychiatrist the easiest might be to ask the GP for a referral.

Reply to Twig