Posted by: joe | 2006/04/12


I'd like someone to advise me as to taking the first step in obtaining help for my girlfreind who I believe shows signs of constant and deep depression. Who do we contact for an assessment in the JHB / Sandton/ Randburg area? Do you get a refer via an ordinary GP or do we set up an appointnment with a psycholgist or psychiatrist direct (from yellow pages etc). I am very anxious to get a professional opinion as soon as possible and do not want to waste unnecessary time

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

It is your g who really needs to take the essential steps --- to recognize that she is depressed, and does have a problem, and needs treatment which can help her to feel enormously better. Encourage her to see ANY psychiatrist or even GP in her area, for a start. I get the impression that many psychiatrists are accepting direct referrals, but in case this causes any delays, your quickest bet might be to get a referral from a GP nearby

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Twig | 2006/04/12

Hi joe

Unless someone can recommend a good psychiatrist the easiest might be to ask the GP for a referral.

Reply to Twig

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.