Question
Posted by: ns | 2005/12/05

depression

I suffer from depression & recently told my parents. They did not respond well & my dr had to speak to them. The problem is they don't even talk or support me in dealing with this. They just change the channel or radio station everytime something comes up relating to it. I'm dissapointed as I've seen them support & love my siblings when they needed it but me they won't even treat me fairly almost tlike they ashamed of me for some reason. I'm so tired of this depression crap I wish it could just end I can't handle this alone anymore. They seemed so supportive when my dr explained but that lasted for like a month before they just didn't care anymore. I don't know how to deal every time I have a bad episode.

So sorry to hear how deplorably inadequate and unkind and ignorant your parents are. Don't let their bad attitudes cause problems for you --- discuss this further with your doctor, and arrange to see a good counsellor to enable you both to shake loose from this Depression, and to gain in self-confidence and independence.

2
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/05

I agree with Jade. Find yourself something to take your mind of things. And a little sad fact of life - when the chips are down, the only person you can rely on is yourself. So, if you are on medication and seeing a therapist, continue to do this until you are strong enough to deal with it on your own. Be strong.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: Jade | 2005/12/05

Sorry to hear that you feel like you not getting support from your parents. I know that its not a great feeling, but I think whats most important is that you don't rely on their support to give you strength.
You need to find ways of your own to lift yourself up, whether its going for a hot bath, reading a good book, enjoying a good cup of hot chocolate.
I love playing guitar, so when I'm feeling blue I play my guitar and all my troubles if only for that hour just seem to dissappear.
I also suffer from depression & I know its not easy when your family doesn't support you. I think a lot of the time they just don't know how to deal with it so they try ignore it. Hence this may feel like they ignoring you, but its not. They just need to learn to help you and only you can talk to them & guide them into how to help. Perhaps a follow up from your therapist would help them too?.
Are you on any medication? Are you seeing a therapist or just a GP?

Reply to Jade