Posted by: Cat | 2005/01/07


Hi CS,

What is CBT ? Is seeing a councellor very different than a psychologist ? I stopped seeing my last year, could not afford it and have been seeing a christian counsellor, is there much difference. I sometimes feel that Cilift is not helping me and want to get a second opinion, I sometimes feel like a loskop and go into a daze, I sometimes still feel very suicidal and that worries me alot, How does a person get out of depression ?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

CBT is Cognitive-Behavior Therapy ( check the arcives where I've often discussed it ) --- it's the method with the best current research showing real and lasting benefits. It focusses on the assumptions you have made about how life and yourself works, on testing them, and on discarding those which are not useful, and revising them and replacing them with other personal rules and assumptions which work better.
A counsellor should have had basic training in how to apply the basic level of talking therapy. I am sceptical about "christian counsellors" for two reasons --- many that I have come across do not seem to have been properly trained on the counselling side, and because I also believe that any therapist should work with respect for your own beliefs, not on a mission to impose or extend their own beliefs.
A psychologist has had far more training in more in-depth counselling and psychotherapy ( talking therapy ) skills, and a psychiatrist will be a fully trained medical doctor with similar aditional training in psychology and related therapies, including drug therapy, after qualifying in medicine.
A combination of good counselling / psychotherapy like CBT AND meds like Cilift is often the best combination. Maybe see a psychiatrist for a second opinion / re-assessmentm and discussion of possible revision in your therapy.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Liza | 2005/01/07

There is a big difference between a psychologist and a counsellor. Counsellors are there to help you through specific difficulties in life. Psychologists are there to help you find out what those difficulties are and how to handle them through different therapy techniques. CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) is one of those therapy techniques. Its when you teach yourself to see a 'red light' whenever you approach a difficult stage and need more help. Its also very helpful for e.g. when you suffer from panic attacks in certain situations to work through the panic attack rather than letting it run away with you.

If you want a second opinion - go see a psychiatrist. Yes they are expensive, but their advice and knowledge of specific medicines on certain people and in certain situations is invaluable.

Good luck

Reply to Liza

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.