Question
Posted by: Mayléne | 2004/11/17

Depression<br>

My mom has been admitted to the Vista clinic for depression. They are treating her with an anti-depressant and some other medicine (do not know what it is).

She complains of tiredness. She says her whole body feels tired and she has no energy and do not know how she is ever going to be normal again. That is all she can say. She do not know how she is going to cope at home with the garden and household things. I told her several times that me and my brothers will take over the responsibility for her. She has to do nothing. Then she says how is she going to make supper/dinner for us if we come there and who is going to pay her bills and who is going to buy her food etc etc. I told her that we will do all that - all she has to do is live in her house and open up for agents who bring clients (her house is in the market). This whole thing of the house being in the market started all this. The house must be sold because it is to big for her to cope with.

What must I do. Is this normal? She says she wants sleeping therapy and at the clinic they say they do not give it. She complains about everything.

Must I ask her doctor for some nutrition or some vitamins. She uses Vita Force 40+ and I gave her some Berocca Calmag that I use.

She has been in the clinic for 6 days now.

Please help me.

Mayléne

Dear Maylene,
Each of us is unique, but much of what you describe sounds rather typical of Depression --- one feels tired and weary even before activity, and pessimistic beyond reason. Everything seems doomed and impossible, and one is tempted to give up. Sleep and appetite are usually disturbed, too. And they complain and kvetch about everything.
Maybe, even if it is reasonable for the house to be put on the market, to some extent she may also be mourning the coming loss of the house and home she loved for so many years. But Depression can be very successfully treated, and before long she should be feeling less pessimistic and more energetic. Delighted to hear that the clinic has told her that they don't do Sleep Therapy --- without any exception, only quacks offer or perform "Sleep Therapy" which is dangerous and without benefits. Sounds like her vitamin supplements ought to be sufficient.
Of course one feels impatient to see improvement, but 6 days is still fairly early. Though some people respond earlier, it generally takes at least 2 to 4 weeks for antidepressants to have their full effects ; and sometimes, a person isn't best suited by the first one tried, and needs a trial of a second medicine.

3
Posted by: Mayléne | 2004/11/18

Dear Dr

Thank you so much for your reply. I understand her situation more clearly now and know that her reactions is normal.

Mayléne

Reply to Mayléne
Posted by: Mayléne | 2004/11/17

Dear J

Thanks for writing a reply. I have never had to deal with such a tipe of situation and appreciate the help you gave. Thanks a lot.

Mayléne

Reply to Mayléne
Posted by: J | 2004/11/17

Hi M

Your mom's tiredness is a main symptom of her depression.However, I know from experience that they administer heavy medication during the first few days at the clinic, which aggravates the tiredness.The medication will be reduced gradually and in turn, her energy levels should increase.
Encourage your mom to discuss her concerns intensely during her individual- and group therapy sessions at the clinic, to ensure that the issues are dealt with before her release. You can also encourage her to participate in other activities, such as exercise, swimming, painting (whatever is offered at the clinic, normally as part of occupational therapy) during her spare time at the clinic.
I dont think sleep therapy is a good option, but CS will provide insight on this.Also ensure that the caregivers at the clinic are aware of the additional vitamins that you are giving your mom.
Otherwise, I think you should continue with the current support you are providing, which is more than enough and let her recovery at the clinic takes it's course.

Goodluck and take care.

J.

Reply to J