Question
Posted by: RD-55 | 2004/10/19

Depression

Hi, I'm a 16 year old girl and I think I'm suffering from depression.
I'm feeling very down , I've been feeling this way for more than 4 months and I really can't take it. My family doesnt believe I have anything. But I know I'm depressed and I need help. I cant see a doctor without my family taking me to one so I decided I'll take Prozac because a friend told me about it and hope that it will help . any advice?

RD, it doesn't quite work like that. Any effective drug, like Prozac, needs a doctor's prescription and this would only be written by a doctor after he had seen and assessed you. Some suggestions --- talk with your family and convince them that you really are feeling awful and need to see a doctor. Also, ask at school about the availability of counselling services / a school psychologist, school health doctors, who you could see, to start the ball rolling.
And, as Shaun says, there are many other reasons why you could arrange to see your GP, and, once there, ask him about your feelings of depression and what best to do about them.

3
Posted by: RD-55 | 2004/10/20

I know what you guys mean. but the thing is I dont live in the US. I live somewhere where things are quite different. I dont see my GP. as a matter of fact my dad is a doctor but he's not really there for me. The thing is...i asked my mom for help , no use! plus I had a few probs at school but here where i live we dont have a school psychologist like over there in the US. plus the depression cases here are very little compared to other places, so I'm quite desperate.

Reply to RD-55
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/20

Uh, sorry, that should have been " you should NOT fear going to the doc about it."

Sorry.

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/20

Hi RD-55,

Self-medicating is more often than not, not a good idea. I do tend to agree with you that you maybe depressed, but would like you to know that you should fear going to the doc about it. When next you have an appointment with your GP, please touch on this subject with him/her as they are qualified to advise you further & may even prescribe you with the correct medication.
You don't really have to go directly to a shrink, your first line of consultation is with your GP. Would you not be able to arrange it in such a way that even though you need your family to take you to the doc, that they actually don't actually go into the doc's rooms with you?

Please also try & relax about it as I kinda know that people not understanding what you're going thru has the tendency to frustrate you even further thereby adding to the stress/depression you seem to be experiencing right now.

Don't despair RD, there is always ways & means to get what you want, but I would advise against self-medicating.

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun